How to get urine sample from toddlers
Collecting urine sample from babies or toddlers can be very challenging. Truly speaking, being a female in nigeria or any nationality, it is not as simple as it sounds at all. It takes time and patience and a lot of understanding. It can be a stressful time for parents and a scary time for kids as these little ones may not be able to comprehend what you want to do.
The reasons below make it difficult to get this sample
- Some of them are shy to pee when they are with someone. They pee on their diaper, but most times prefer to do it when they are on their own.
- If you make them pee on their potty (kpoo), the sample will be contaminated.
- Pee dropped in diaper turns to gel and contaminated. Also can not be used.
- Waiting for the pee to be ready can be frustrating
- Toddlers most times do not do what you want them to do at the time you want them to do it
- Unfortunately, we do not have “collection pad” or “urine bag” in Nigeria, for collecting urine samples from babies.
However, there are several things you can do to minimize the anxiety for everyone.
Key factors to collecting the sample
- Gentle touch, to encourage them
- Soothing voice, to ensure they are relaxed
- Remain calm, show no anxiety
So how do we get the urine sample?
Here are some tricks you can use to get urine sample from toddlers